Not Diagnosed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of zepperoni zepperoni 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of technews
    technews
    Participant

Hi all. I am new and I have never been diagnosed. Does anyone have some advice? I’m 44 this year and didn’t think it would do much good to start the diagnostic process now. Anyways, Hi everyone :).

Isaac.

Profile photo of papaBear
    papaBear
    Participant

Hi yourself, I’m new here as well…

I have just recently been diagnosed, I’m 38 turning 39… I don’t cherish the fact that I have a diagnosis, but it have helped me to understand a lot of my previous years… It explains alot.

Having a diagnosis doesn’t solve anything( for me, that is…), but it sure have helped in understanding why I never fit in and why my response to the rest of the world and other people have been difficult.

I was kinda reluctant to get a diagnose, but now (3 weeks later) it’ve started to “sink in”. The diagnosis can be helpful in my everyday life, if just to have some way of explaining to the people around me that they can’t expect “normal” responses from me when I get a “meltdown”. Earlier this have been very hard, and have given me a lot of difficulties. In relationships, with friends and, most important, family.

My personal opinion would be to get diagnosed, but then again it’s your decision. It might have benefits, but also will probably have drawbacks… And as earlier stated, a diagnosis doesn’t solve anything. You have to cope with it all the same.

OBi

Profile photo of zepperoni
    zepperoni
    Participant

I find it hard to get a diagnosis. Insurance doesn’t cover it and it’s not recognized in adults. I finally found a Dr who is willing to get me started with it. He needs to solve my thyroid problem first, so he can separate the issues. Even though, all of this has gone on all of my life and we learn to adapt (not usually very well) and never understand why we are adapting, we do it. All stuff you can understand, I’m sure… Anyway, my point was that getting a diagnosis is very important to me for an official explanation for why things are how they are. That I don’t communicate like others and that they don’t need to always be offended. Trust me, if I want to offend them, I can. I don’t think I’m offending them, but I am. I feel so misunderstood and hated, everyday. I haven’t done anything wrong to anyone, I say things the wrong way, I don’t look at them when I speak and I ask questions that seem the same as the last question I asked but really, I changed a couple of words to get a different kind of answer and that drives people nuts. They get frustrated. I work in a very technical field and I need to understand EVERYTHING. I have a crazy passion for my work. Obsessive.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

CREATE ACCOUNT ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up